Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Greenstone to Invercargill - 16 days of solid walking (days 136 to 151)

After another day off in Queenstown (I think I can get used of this day off stuff), I head for the Greenstone Hut and what will be my last big push towards the end of this journey. This section of Te Araroa starts on the popular Greenstone Track, but soon heads south towards Mavora Lakes and the Takitimu Mountains. I found it a mixed bag of good tramping tracks, to rough overgrown river beds and long forest walks. For the most part it was enjoyable, the weather settled (apart from another dumping of snow at Telford campsite) and the huts good. As the days ticked by however, I became more and more focused on just going as fast as I could and chipping off those K's towards my goal. I did enjoy the Longwood's and the beach walk from Riverton to Invercargill.

1 comment: