Thursday, September 8, 2011

Whangarei coastal track

More beautiful sandy beaches and more sunshine. What a life. Or it would be, if I didn't have to carry this heavy pack, climb up and down steep hills (why don't track makers follow the contours like most animals do) and of course sleep on the ground every night. Just kidding, it's really such stunning coastline, that it would be hard not to enjoy such a beautiful walk.
Day 17 saw me leaving the lovely little camp ground at Whananaki North, where the lady was so impressed at my efforts so far on the Te Araroa trail that she gave me a big discount and even washed some of my cloths for me. Maybe she was trying to tell me something. There is a great Te Araroa graphic sign on the beach at Whananaki, showing the Onekainga track that I had come down the day before and it tells me the I ahve already reached 316 km from Cape Reinga. Starting to crank up the km now.
The coastal track follows up and down passed more beautiful coves and bays, Sandy Bay, Woollys Bay, Matapouri Bay and must be one of the great highlights of this walk. Through to Ngunguru for the next section, but no where to camp, so doubled back to Tutukaka and a flash new camping ground, And those lovely hot showers again. The manager at this camping ground was also impressed, he even gave me a beer for my efforts but not my washing. Well, I don't expect you can have it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment